sustainable features at h2hotelPlease click the numbered buttons on the graphic to learn more about our sustainable features
01. solar roof
Solar panels on the roof are used to heat the swimming pool and hot water in the guest rooms, reducing electricity consumption.
02. hotel materials and resources
During its building, more than 85% of the hotel's construction debris was recycled â€¦ and many of the materials used to build the hotel - from steel to concrete to glazing - contain a high percentage of recycled content.
Many of the materials used to build the hotel itself were sourced and manufactured within 500 miles of Healdsburg.
03. living roof
h2 was designed to have a gentle effect on the surrounding area. The "green roof" filters rainwater to reduce the impact on Healdsburgâ€™s storm-drain system and neighboring Foss Creek; it also reduces the amount of heat the hotel gives off, to prevent disturbing the local microclimate.
04. indoor construction
Careful planning of internal systems means h2 uses nearly 28% less energy than standard hotels in California.
05. guestroom conservation
Smart sensors turn lights, fans and air conditioners off when guest rooms are empty (and can be controlled individually by the guest), greatly reducing energy use. We even have a recycling program in the guest rooms. Dual-flush toilets and low-flow faucets and fixtures reduce water usage by 20%.
06. indoor environment
From construction to opening and beyond, we've given great attention to air quality. Interior materials were specially selected for their low volatile organic compound (VOC) content, which means a healthier environment. And weâ€™ve designed it to stay that way with a system that refreshes the air at a rate 150% over the hotel standard.
07. green guestroomsSure, our rooms feel comfy and luxe to our guests, but they're designed to be gentle on the earth too. From sustainable bamboo flooring; fair-trade, chemical-free rugs from Peace Industry; Coyuchi organic sheets, towels and robes â€¦ down to details like glass water carafes in every room made from recycled wine bottles (to fill up at any Waterbar) and refillable bath amenities, h2 is all about a healthy environment.
08. foss creek and open space
We've made the land healthier by rejuvenating the soil, employing an erosion-control plan to minimize runoff and leaving 60% of the site as open space to promote biodiversity.
We also work actively with local community groups to protect Foss Creek, which runs through the property, and restore the creek bed and riparian habitat.
09. irrigation and landscaping
h2 uses just a third of the water typically used in landscaping thanks to drought-tolerant native species and a high-efficiency irrigation system.
10. constructionSustainability starts with the materials used. More than half of the non-reclaimed wood in h2 - including all of the rough framing and structural sheathing; the redwood sunscreen and siding; the lobby ceiling; and all door and window frames - was certified by the Forest Stewardship Council as being harvested through responsible forest management.
Even the custom furnishings and interior finishing far exceed the LEED standard for percentage of salvaged lumber used in construction.
11. food and beverageSpoonbar's Chef sources from local farms, ranches and artisan producers to support his neighbors and give guests the freshest seasonal produce Sonoma County has to offer. Even the bar has an eye towards regional and seasonal. Our Mixologist sources local liquors and organic fruits and herbs for his cocktails, and an extensive "keg program" with wines on tap reduces packaging and spoilage.
12. public space conservation
Thoughtful windows feature dual panes, special glazing and shading devices to keep public spaces cool. Many of the materials are "cradle-to-cradle" certified, meeting strict environmental standards from initial production through future recyclability.
13. energy saving elevatorsh2's gearless traction EcoSpace elevator uses 60% less electricity than a standard hydraulic elevator. No oil is required, removing the risk of soil contamination and fire that threaten hydraulic systems. This EcoSpace elevator is also comprised of 95% recyclable materials.
14. artAll of the artwork throughout h2 was specially commissioned to extend the hip, utilitarian aesthetic and environmentally conscious philosophy of the hotel. Artist Ned Kahn's Spoonfall water wall at h2's entrance even uses rainwater captured from the green roof. Read more about the details in the Art section of our site.
15. smart transportation
h2 promotes pedal power by providing bicycles and storage for both guests and staff.
LEED NC 2.2 Gold certified
LEED NC (New Construction) is a rating system that promotes the design and construction of high-performance green buildings. Green buildings use less energy, water and natural resources; create less waste; and are more durable and comfortable for occupants. You can learn more about LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) at www.usgbc.org
Click here to view complete list of Sustainable Features
|home | specials | reservations | the hotel | rooms | meetings | spoonbar | events | green | art | blog | to do | contact | join us | gift cards|